Monday, September 13, 2010

What Public Radio Means To Me

Dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, duuuuuuum

That little melody, whether in the brassy tones of a trumpet section or the velvety syncopations of a jazz ensemble, has been a staple in my life since childhood. When I was younger, I would hear it emanating from my mother's car radio, followed by crisp and to-the-point voices announcing current events, or the melodic elegance of classical music. As I grew older, I became familiar with many of the voices, recognizing them as one recognizes an old friend. Terry Gross, Ira Glass, Michelle Norris - each of these names brings up the memory of some fascinating program or another.

I have discovered that even if a program covers a topic that doesn't usually interest me, I am intrigued by the various perspectives and intelligent analysis offered on NPR. The media is almost bereft of impartial journalism these days, but NPR continues to support a large variety of opinions, with an innate trust of the listener's intelligence. On NPR, the programs are neither dumbed-down nor pretentiously esoteric, allowing for a broad, diverse audience.

I have always been interested in the media, and am continually exploring both its negative and positive effects. Its influence fascinates me, both due to its omnipresence and to the incredible potential that it possesses. I believe that one of the most important things for our society to focus on is the decrease of negative media, such as product placement and the touting of gigantic corporate entities, and the increase of positive media, such as that which supports local businesses, spreads unbiased information, and helps to improve people's lives.

The catalyst for my interest in media, however, is my fascination with people: how they think, why they behave in the way that they do, and why they make the choices that they make. I believe that one of the main reasons that I adore literature, cinema, and other arts is because they attempt to answer these questions, or at least to consider them. Journalism provides a way to take that analysis and bring it into the real world, learning directly from people.

While I was in New York this summer, my goal was mainly to improve my photographic skills by learning techniques and doing a lot of photography. Without even realizing it, I ended up with a project that focused on interviews and the words of people in the city, creating something that was far more journalistic than it was artistic. This is how I came to understand that, in my life, I hope to pursue a career that allows me to actually interact with and learn about people, and hopefully gives me the opportunity to help them. In fact, I hope that my personal life provides me with the same opportunities.

Public radio is a form of journalism unlike any other. It conveys information to the listener without the benefits of visuals, bringing a story to life with the help of good writing and sounds captured from a previous moment in time. I am very grateful for its existence in my life.

No comments: