Thursday, June 3, 2010

Age


I have decided upon a project, and I am actually quite excited about it. I realized that I've been photographing a lot of elderly people, because I am so fascinated by the stories told by a person's face (particularly when that person has lived a long life). Here is my artist-statement-which-is-not-really-an-artist-statement-but-rather-a-project-proposal (I shall be editing it):

After a 2-year period of self-education and development in photography (with a focus on various types of people photography), I have discovered a tendency in my work to be somewhat repetitive in style. Although I believe that I am proficient at what I have been doing, I would like to improve the level of variety and creativity in my portfolio, giving me an opportunity to discover exactly what I wish to create. Throughout the time during which I have been photographing, I have found that the character given to a person's face by the process of aging is a fascinating and beautiful phenomenon. As a result, I would like to focus my project around the concept of human youth and aging, comparing and contrasting the visual and, more significantly, the individual and personal effects of aging on people. I hope to accomplish this by photographing individuals in all age groups, making sure to provide them with a context of life experience (perhaps by asking a few very simple but specific questions about their past, present, and future to enrich the content of the photograph).

My questions:

- Job/Name/Age (if willing to tell)

1. Is there something in your past that you would like to have in your present future
OR
Would you change anything from your past?

2. What is currently the most important thing in your life?

3. How do you imagine your future?

I will be lugging around my laptop to record the answers in GarageBand, and am hoping that each interview/photo session will take approximately 10 minutes (as I will ask for relatively short answers). I'm going to give my poster board idea a try, but will give it up if it doesn't give me the results that I want. I will try not to get frustrated with myself if I do not achieve perfection, but will aim towards doing my best work. I've realized that I need to think of this in terms of Project Runway (Parsons connection!) - the designers usually have a short amount of time to make their outfits, but they know that they must do their very best if they wish to succeed. To do well, however, they must also remain aware of their limitations.

I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS WORK.

No comments: