Monday, June 7, 2010

PHOTOGRAPHY PROJECT: Puppets And People And Photography, Oh My!



I am finding that I love, love, LOVE this project. At the moment I have responses from people ranging in age from 12 to 72, and it is fascinating to see the similarities and differences in peoples' values. People are responding quite well to my sign, although I imagine that my "data" is a bit skewed towards extroverts (which one must be to reply to such a request as mine).

This photograph, taken at the Brooklyn Bridge Park in the DUMBO region, is of the members of the unusual puppetry act Puppetyranny!, Zac Palladino (24) and Leslie Rogers (25).

Their responses:

1. Is there something in your past that you would like to have in your present/future?

Leslie: I want safety back. Safety would be really nice. And health insurance.

Zac: Yeah, safety.

2. What is currently the most important thing in your life?

Zac: Cheap living. Free fun - as much of it as possible.

Leslie: Definitely fun.

3. How do you imagine your future?

Zac: Poorer, and poorer but maybe funner and funner?

Leslie: Poor. Poor but still fun. Increasingly poor. Possibly more debt. More debt, more fun (until debt takes over).


(These replies show both the positive and negative aspects of joint interviews. On the one hand, people are more comfortable and less intimidated by the camera when they are not alone. On the other, friends tend to echo one another with their responses.)

Update: New, and hopefully improved, edit:


Update 2: Aaaaand numero tres:

No comments: